The area was settled before the Civil War as an agricultural community, and was named Dido, a name that you may see in our area roads. In the 1880’s, the area welcomed three railroad lines, the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway (a subsidiary of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad), the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway.

In 1882, the town was renamed Saginaw by Jarvis J. Green (after his first choice of “Pontiac” was rejected by the United States Postal Service), who had lived and worked on Saginaw Street in Pontiac, Michigan. The name Saginaw comes from the Ojibwe language and means “to flow out.” It is also the name of a river, a bay, and a city in Michigan. Saginaw, Texas welcomed its first public school in 1883.

In the late 1800’s, Saginaw was forever changed when the railroad decided to make Saginaw the last stop on their south-bound routes to Fort Worth. Saginaw prospered as the transportation dependent industry, such as grain storage and milling facilities, moved in to be near the railroad. Saginaw remains home to the largest grain storage facility in the world! Burrus Mills, now Cargill, Inc., was the launching pad for the western swing band, “The Lightcrust Dough Boys”.

The post office was established in 1933 and the City of Saginaw was incorporated in 1949 with John Kennedy as the first Mayor. In 1966, with a population of 1,740, the citizens voted to build a new City Hall. In 1983, the City Hall was moved to its current location on West McLeroy Boulevard. On January 16, 1988, the citizens voted to adopt a Home Rule Charter. The City is Home Rule with a Council-Manager form of government.